Thursday 16 July 2015

Trip to the past...

Thirty-eight years ago on this very day the humble host of this blog came into this world in Germany's wonderful Rhine Area. Although I don't give too much on celebrating myself I always enjoy this day because it's a nice chance to meet the family and do something unusual. Since both of our children are ill we decided to have dinner at home. My parents will join us and we'll have salmon on herbs, Mediterranean salad and some Riesling from the Palatinate.

But the first highlight of this day was the present dear Mrs Monty gave to me. Literally a trip to the past since I owned more or less the same game about three decades ago:
It's a Stiga table hockey game probably well-known to my Scandinavian and North American readers but in Germany it's a real niche product. But during my younger days I was proud owner of one of those games and spent a many hours with battling friends on this field of honour. Viktoria and me tried it already this morning and I presume I'll need some practise...

17 comments:

  1. What a great gift from your good lady. Happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is. Many thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  2. Many happy returns for the day my friend! It sounds like you have the day well mapped out and hopefully you will have the opportunity to get a few more hockey games in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Michael. I'm sure, Viktoria will insist on more hockey. :-)

      Delete
  3. Beste Glückwünsche!
    It's a great fun game! We play it sometimes with my brothers, although we're over 30. I see, it's a high speed edition with very smooth surface. Pack moves faster than usual ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I can't remeber how fast my old game was but I'm sure I need some practice to reach my former skill again. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday!
    That is my childhood right there, having grown up in Sweden. A tip that is standard in Sweden but might not be well-known in Germany:get potato starch powder, spread thin over the entire flaying field then blow on it to get rid of the excess. This will reduce friction and speed up the puck like you won't believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the good wishes and the hint.
      :-)

      Delete
  5. Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, wünschen Dir einen wunderschönen Tag. Hope thats correct :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Carl. The phrase is absolutely correct.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday!
    https://youtu.be/o5kEfO0lK6o / Freddy Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alles Gute zum Geburtstag Stefan! A great gift indeed. :) It's really a tricky game to master

    ReplyDelete