Friday 17 July 2015

The Dark Knight rises

This week weather was unpleasant again. Once again more than 30 °C with only two 'cooler' days in between. Honestly that kind of summer I really don't need. Anyway besides the progress with the gladiators I spent some time with Batman and finally finished him:
The Dark Knight is by Knight Models who make a really alluring range of 35mm miniatues. The figures are mostly inspired by the recent video games from the 'Arkham Asylum' series and by the recent movies by Christopher Nolan. 35mm makes them rather unique in size and more or less uncombinable with other ranges. Actually that doesn't hurt because the range is stylewise very extraordinary and I doubt whether there are other manufacturers making suitable models.

Anyway the quality of the figure is excellent. The proportions and the dynamic of its body language is captured excellently and full of expression. Especially the cape looks wonderfully vivid. Usually he comes with a 30mm slotted base but I didn't like its thickness. Thus I replaced it with a 25mm Renedra plastic base and added some greenstuff and plastic card to create an idea of banged up pavement. Not my best work but at least it doesn't spoil the miniature.
Only disadvantage of the figure is it's price. About £11 / 16 € is a lot for a single miniature. Nevertheless I don't regret the purchase. It granted me a couple of entertaining hours when I painted it and I enjoyed it very much to plunge into the DC universe. Honestly cinema tickets for the same time - meaning for two or three movies - would have been more expensive. I'm not sure whether this figure will be my first step into the Batman Miniature Game since I'm lacking like-minded wargaming fellow here but at least it lead me back to a story cycle I enjoyed very much during my younger days.

19 comments:

  1. He is marvellous Stefan, the citizens of Gotham can sleep easy tonight - but only if the temperature drops. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind reply. I'm sure at Crisis at the latest there'll be some villains entereing 'my' Gotham. But it's hard to chose: Penguin, Joker, Court of Owls... So many possible enemies...

      Delete
  2. Painting black so that it looks right is more difficult than you may think. You have cracked it though Stefan and the base looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Pat. As for the black I decided to 'break' it into a very dark blue to resemble the classic Batman colour scheme.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work. Great colour tone in the figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent painting Stefan, love the folds in the cloak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're wonderfully sculpted and a real joy to follow.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful work. Really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is truly excellent, some of the best rendering of black that I have ever seen. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THat is a very good paint job.

    Well done.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony, glad that you and some others like it.

      Delete
  8. That's simply awesome work Monty! And mind you not GW would charge you triple the price easily :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GW would charge the triple price on SALE I presume. ;-)

      Delete
  9. Great work.
    "This week weather was unpleasant again."
    Are you sure you would not rather be in the overcast and cloudy UK for what passes as summer here?

    ReplyDelete