Monday 13 July 2015

Painting cheek by jowl... Gladiators

Last Sunday I had a very pleasant painting session because our elder daughter Viktoria joined me. Overall she's an artistic character. She doesn't play on her own too much but prefers to paint or tinker things. Thus she has a bunch of colouring books and has been fascinated by daddy's figures for a long time. During the last year she started with some old GW archers but always wanted to have "those iron ones". Finally this weekend we unwraped a set of four gladiators by Crusader miniatures that I grapped from a second hand table on Crisis 2014 and started painting them:
So we has three murmillos and one crupellasrius to paint. A perfect topic for her since gladiators are her hobbyhorse since we visited some at Xanten 2014. Maybe unusual for a (nearly) five year old girl but those ancient warriors are still fascinating for her. She's even able to differentiate most of them.

Anyway enough fatherly pride (for now). Here's what we did:
I'm really excited about her results. Upon my word I didn't help her much. Actually I gave her hints where to paint which colour and checked the small gaps and niches afterwards. But by far most of the work was hers. Alas she didn't dare to drybrush the armour because she was afraid of painting over everything. But far most important I enjoyed to spend time with Viktoria. I don't know whether she'll keep the interest in painting miniatures or spending time with me and my miniatures but as long as she does I'll enjoy it. Honestly I will not try to force her into my hobby but at least now she's keen on walking me to our gaming gatherings when she's older...

19 comments:

  1. Excellent work! And what a joy for you to work with Viktoria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly excellent. She is a natural and i sense much father daughter bonding in the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly hope so. But only God know how her interest will turn during the next years...

      Delete
  3. Great stuff - congratulations Gamer Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great family time was had , well done Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. Hopefully some more sessions to come...

      Delete
  5. How delightful and a fair talent too; well done Viktoria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Michael.
      In case that she stays with that hobby she'll outstrip me before she starts driving... ;-)

      Delete
  6. What a proud papa. You say she's not even 5 yet? Wow! She has a steady hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she turn five next month.

      There are a couple of spots she didn't reach or she painted over but far less than I would have expected. But I think tiny things ar those armour straps and difficult things like highlighting the skin will be my part...

      Delete
  7. Good work.
    Viktoria, father helper, is very endearing and cheerful, perhaps yet a little shy, but public appears, is some first times, little confusing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how she and her hobbies will develop. In case that her interest in minitures endures you'll see some more of her work sooner or later. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Hi Stefan,
    You might be surprised how this may end up. I started painting with both my boys at about the same age and now they are in their early twenties, they both can wield a brush and enjoy all aspects of the hobby. Well done Viktoria, a super job.
    cheers
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your encouragement. I'd love to keep sharing some hobby time with her.

      Delete
  9. Great stuff Stefan! Wonderful to see you enjoying your hobby with the family. Viktoria looks to be a talented lass as well!

    ReplyDelete