Tuesday 8 April 2014

Wet Palette

Yesterday was D. I. Y. time on my workbench. Finally I decided to create a new wet palette. Actually I tried one some time ago but wasn't too impressed. But next week I'll have to highlight a dozen of napoleonic KGL riflemen and so I thought mixing the colours once and then conserve it for a few days might be a good idea. Anyway making a wet palette is a rather easy task and here's the way I did it.

In the light of recent events among us wargamers and bloggers please be warned: 

Knives are sharp and dangerous. Always cut away from you and keep your fingers - and thumbs - out of the blade's way !!

1.) Grunding and sponge
To give the palette some stiffness I used a piece of styrofoam as base. Nothing special just a waste piece from a terrain board project. On top of that a placed a kitchen sponge which I cut to the right size. This sponge will hold the water to keep the palette wet. Alternatively you could use folded kitchen paper.
2.) Layer
Next is a layer of water-permeable but not resorbing material. I'm not sure whether which alternatives there are but I'm used to baking parchment for this purpose. Just cut some pieces to the right size for grounding and sponge. Of course you'll only need one at the same time but it will not work too long so have some pieces in reserve.
3.) Filling and fitting:
Nearly done. So fill the sponge with water and fix the grounding, the sponge and the baking paper well together. Actually you have to fix all things somehow because otherwise the baking paper will roll up and our nice wet palette wouldn't work.
4.) Cap
Finally you'll need a cap to close the wet palette to prevent drying out. Since I used a kind of chocolate box to put the wet palette in that was easy.
Well then, that's all about it. An absolutely easy tutorial for a helpful device. Next time I'll present some tokens I painted for a club fellow of mine and next week some adventures with the wet palette.

14 comments:

  1. I got turned onto using a wet palette shortly after I began painting and it's all I ever use. Mine is made of sponges that I put inside a tupperware container. Just pop the lid on and my paints stay wet for days. Just remember to clean or replace your sponges as they will grow bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Anne. You're absolutely right.
      We don't want to turn our miniatures into biological weapons, do we? :-)

      Delete
  2. Looks very nice and efficient Monty.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the parchment paper will pretty soon lay flat all by itself once the entire surface has absorbed some water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I wasn't patient enough for that but besides I experienced that a random air draft may cause the paper to fly away so I prefer fastening it anyway.

      Cheers
      Stefan

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Me too. I feel like a dinosaur! At least I don't use Humbrol Enamels any more... :-)

      Delete
    2. Me three!! I've seen it a few times on blogs and want to give it a go..................

      Delete
  5. Very good, I use one too, depending on what I am painting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend Rom was telling me about this recently. It looks like a good idea for army painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially for colours you have to mix or when you constantly fear to be interrupted by under-age family members...

      :-)

      Delete