Last week was a bit cooler than the week before. Therefore I was able to get some things prepared. Especially I wanted to try to pimp up some of my fields. Thereto Pat's post from January on his Silver Whistle blog inspired me (look here).
So first I chose some stuff from myoffcut box. Namely a nice sheet of plywood and some foamboard. With the foamboard I prepared the shape of the field and the plywood made an excellent base.
As field I used a part of a doormat. Since I wanted to make a partly harvested field I cut a part off it and glued it on the board with all-purpose glue because I guessed that might contract less than wood glue. Afterwards I covered the empty part of the field with rough structure paint.
Now the board had to take a breake and I let it dry over night with a pile of RPG rulebooks on it.
Meanwhile I took some offcut pieces of the doormat and cut off the bristles. They shall serve as husk on the harvested field as well as straw for a bale of straw I'm preparing simultaneously.
But be warned:
If your sweetheart isn't as tolerant as dear Mrs Monty then make sure that she is away when you cut off the bristles or do it in a secret chamber in your flat. Otherwise you frivolously risk a debate on principles about cleaning your home. There is no chance to cut the bristles without flipping them all over the working place!
Anyway the day later I proceeded with the hedgerow which shall surround the field. basically I used the same technique as for my bocage (here). Which means that I glued flocks of different clumb foliage on the fomeboard with hot glue which worked rather well once more. But mind your fingers! Hot glue means HOT GLUE !
However, I'm rather satisfied with the WIP result and I hope to get the base drybrushed this evening. Then some fining touches and the prototype is ready to test.