Thursday 30 June 2016

Zombicide: Black Plague - Brother James

In hindsight my last entry was pretty lame. The pictures were taken on my mobile phone and the entry itself was arranged on that tiny device as well. Seen on a usual screen the pictures and overall appearance of the post was far from optimal. Hence I understand why the commentaries were as scattered as restrained. Anyway I got cracking a bit to present you something better quickly:
Brother James with his character card


As you see it's Brother James from the Zombicide: Black Plague Kickstarter from 2015. Luckily I got hold of a whole 'Knight's Pledge' for a very reasonable price. Actually not more than I would have paid for the core game, the Wulfsburg expansion and a couple of other boxes I might have purchased.
As you know I decided to start with four of the Kickstarter exclusive characters and firstly finished James. You might spot the resemblance to Brother William of Baskerville from 'The Name of the Rose':
Although I haven't seen the film for a couple of years I've been keeping it in good memory. Especially Sean Connery stayed within my recollection as well as the atmosphere of the abbey which is depicted perfectly. In the highly unlikely case that you don't know the film look for it. It's worth watching without any doubt!

However during their Black Plague Kickstarter Cmon (Cool Mini or not) creates a couple of exclusive figures based on characters from film or TV. Somehow James found his way onto my painting table as part of the first batch of four.
As usual I used Vallejo Model Colors to get this chap painted; this time above a black undercoat. As you see I kept the figure as close to the character card as possible and I'm really satisfied with the result. Honestly it became one of those 'limit of my skill' miniatures and it shows how my humble skills developed during the last years.
Only the base isn't completely finished since I took the pictures before applying varnish to the miniature. Unfortunately the original base of the figures was simply plain. So I pondered what to do and employed some Greenstuff to imitate a couple of cobblestones. It shall look as James standing on a kind of damaged or vanishing cobbles. After varnishing this fellow I'll apply some static grass and clump foliage to round the base out.

What do you think?
Yours truly hopes you're quite as satisfied and tolerant as he appears...

19 comments:

  1. Great work Stefan! Just got my package two days ago as well. Your work really provides some inspiration when I get to painting mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Samuli. The figures are really great to paint!

      Delete
  2. He looks superb Stefan, really well done and I will probably steal that basing idea at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to use my humble idea, my friend. Just take it as a small down payment on the countless pieces of inspiration your blog delivers.

      Delete
  3. Wow, amazing painting and great shading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work Monty! You've definitely captured that 'Im Namen der Rose' feeling. Fond memories of that film...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Nick. I'm glad to hear you like it.

      Delete